Why I chose Neuro physiotherapy?

 Why I chose Neuro physiotherapy?


I was 12years old when my grandmother suffered right sided paralysis sitting in the hospital with support and the soup started dripping from her left side while I was feeding her and the doctor walked in saying ‘ She is discharged, now everything is on the physiotherapist to make her walk’. That was the very first time I heard the word “physiotherapist” and had no idea what it meant. It was 2001 and it took us 5 days of searching, asking, going through the yellow pages to find a physiotherapist. 


We started physiotherapy for her, at home first and it was tough to imagine he came without any equipments and just treated her with his hands. My grandmother was a very independent lady so it was very difficult for her to ask help for basic tasks like sitting to standing or even going to the washroom. The rehabilitation went on for 6 months and finally at the end of 6 months she was able to walk a whole circle of Shivaji park which is 1.2 km in 45 mins with few breaks but nonetheless she could do it on her own. It felt like a great achievement. In the next 3 months she was also able to sign and do almost all activities independently. At that moment I thought to myself, that this doctor made my grandmother walk and be independent without any medications or surgery, for me it was like magic, MAGIC HEALING HANDS


That’s the day I decided I wanted to be a Neurophysiotherapist and making patients independent and having a better quality of life would be my soul aim. My grandmother had an amazing quality of life and on the last day of her life, she bathed on her own, got herself dressed and washed her own clothes in the morning. It meant the world to her to be independent and meant much more to us. 



Blog By 

Dr Dhvani Zota

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Can you reverse Parkinson's disease?

MIRAN- Moving with a goal